Friday, March 28, 2008

Skull Caps, Fouls, and Bricks

This morning I took the boys over to a great park near our house that includes Basketball courts, a large playground, and tons of grass to run in and trees to climb. We went there so I could play basketball with a large group that plays every Friday and so the boys could run free for a few hours.
Playing basketball here is definitely a unique experience. Nevermind the Hebrew instead of English or the fact that this court is located right on the same location as the "Road of the Patriarch's" that was used 4000 years ago as the Patriarch's of Israeli history walked from Haran down to the Negev desert. Also forget the fact that the players use a blend of international rules and American streets rules. The unique thing for me is playing alongside orthodox Jews who still find a way to wear their tallit (Prayer shawl under their shirt that has tassels hanging out) and their Kippas, or their skull caps (black kippas that Orthodox usually wear under their black rimmed hats). In addition to the clothes, it is not everyday that I play basketball with people named Ephraim, Mordecai, Yacov, Abraham, and Yeshu. Most of these people have lived in Israel most of their lives but many have family from New York so when they speak English it is a bit like being on the set of Seinfeld or hearing commentary on the game from Woody Allen.
The level of talent on the court is definitely lower than what I would see in California but it is decent and at the very least it is fun to play. There are a lot of fouls, too many traveling violations that are not called, and many bricks thrown (not literally... get with the Basketball lingo) but it provides a nice 2 hour break from routine in this city. The boys love the opportunity to just run and explore for a while and I enjoy further immersion into another side of the Jewish culture that you can't find in books. My only question is what kind of basketball player would Jesus have been?

6 comments:

patricia said...

extraordinary.
but he'd probably 'let' you win, because he wouldn't want to show off.

Anonymous said...

I disagree. I've read a certain book and in the end He always wins.
gREG

Angela said...

Luke and I think he would have gotten more air than Jordan...

Melis said...

I think Jesus would win! Oh yes and there would obviously be some kind of life lesson that you should probably be looking for as you are dodging those bricks...that is a foul right? I am not up on basketball lingo ... I'm a baseball mom you know!

Ryan said...

Patricia- Let me win? I think he would teach me humility.
Greg- I like that. he always wins!

Angela- Do you think he talks trash when playing?

Melis- "Bricks" actually refers to shooting bad shots, not fouls. Since you know baseball I will forgive you.

Angela said...

Well, Jesus speaks truth soo...if you really play like a girl...