Monday, March 10, 2008

Good Things

Martha Stewart is one of my heroes (jail time not counted). I have not read a Martha Stewart Living magazine since leaving the states in October, and thought I would do my own "ode to Martha" by writing a list of "good things" for which she is famous. Of course I am also writing this list because I realize that the last couple entries have been a little deep and depressing and I would like to point out some of the upsides to living in the middle east (lest our friends start to think there aren't any).

1. Despite the violence and never-ending cycle of prejudice, oppression, and retribution in Israel, there are moments where I am actually encouraged. The countries of Jordan and Egypt are both working to promote peace here and are doing a good job in my opinion of supporting both Jews and Arabs. There are people of all backgrounds and religions here who want to live side by side. Sometimes it seems as though they are a minority here, but I am thankful for them.

2. The chance to gather together with other believers each week is a VERY good thing. This past Saturday, while I sat in church, the fears and anxiety and hopelessness I had felt the day before disappeared. We were able to collectively lift the country up to God and call on Him to restore and to bring mercy. We heard about the Iraqi children who would receive surgery by Jewish doctors here. We were informed of the bake sale next week to raise funds for needy lebanese families up North. It reminded me of our greater calling to seek God and to take care of those who need it and to let God carry our burdens.

3. The Month of March here in Israel is a dream come true for hard-core holiday lovers such as myself. As if getting to celebrate leap day at the end of February were not enough, March is full of festivities to enjoy and exploit to my hearts content. There is the ides of March, and then Palm Sunday. Then we get to wear green and eat cabbage on the 17th. Good Friday is not a celebratory day but a day to remember none the less. Then Easter weekend falls on the same weekend as the Jewish holiday Purim. So our family will go to synagogue on Saturday, dressed in costumes and clacking our noisemakers while remembering the story of Esther. Then on Sunday we will go to a sunrise service near the old city, and picnic in the park and look for easter eggs, while the Jews in the city also picnic (and apparently recover from hangovers...but more on Purim later). I believe holidays are nearly always Good Things and will write more on Easter and Purim as the month goes on.

4. But first one more thing about Purim...I learned about a Purim tradition from my neighbors yesterday that I believe is a very VERY good thing. In the book of Esther, when (the bad guy) Haman sends out the decree to kill all the Jews in Persia, he collectively singled out Jews for evil. When Esther brought the plan to light and the King retracted the decree, all Jews were collectively saved. From that Jews have come to the concept (at least at Purim) that "we rise together, and we fall together," and make a special effort to give to the poor during that week. They also give out baskets, called "Mishloach Manot" (translated "sending portions" or "manna delivery" ) which basically means making sure that everyone has their needs provided for and everyone is able to celebrate the Purim feast. So everyone goes around giving baskets of food and goodies to friends and neighbors as well as to those in need during Purim. There is much more to this but if you want more info you can always do a google search (I am fond of those!).

5. Our recent trip to Egypt was a good thing. It got a little overshadowed by the violence that has been going on here in Israel. Our family needs to leave Israel every three months to renew our visa and so in a way are forced to see a bit of the world. In Egypt we were able to ride on camels with the sahara as our backdrop, see the pyramids and sphinx of Giza, take a sunset felucca (sailboat) ride on the Nile, and visit the Egypt museum. At the museum I was able to come face to (mummified) face with Ramses II, who incidentally knew Moses over 3000 years ago. I was also able to haggle my heart out at the Khan al Khalili market which is always sort-of fun and also sort-of exhausting.

So there you have it. Ryan just commented from the couch that I must be writing a report. But I don't consider it a bad thing that I have a lot to write in a post entitled "Good Things."

2 comments:

patricia said...

..and so that is why you've been making baskets!? we need to see a picture of these baskets you've been making from cerial boxes!

Unknown said...

Patricia - we are making baskets for easter goodies and also for purim - since we dont officially celebrate Purim (since we are not JEwish!) we are just doing a couple to give away. Whether we call them Purim baskets or Easter baskets, we are still planning to hand out a couple to families in need - to proclaim a message that God saves and God provides. :)