Saturday, February 9, 2008

Random Thoughts (on life in Israel)

The following are some random thoughts or observations from life here in Israel. The following are in no particular order:

We have to keep a kosher kitchen which means we can never mix dairy plates, pots, utensils, towels, washcloths, ect. with any of the same used for meat. We even have two separate sinks (dairy & meat). This year for the first time in my life I had to ask myself, "When cleaning up vomit, do I use a meat rag or dairy?"

Since we left the calmness of the USA to the dangers of the Middle East, California had some of the most devestating fires ever, Washington state had 9 inches of rain in one day resulting in massive flooding then this winter the main mountain pass has had 30 feet of snow. The Midwest has seen violent ice storms and rare mid winter tornadoes. There have been mall shootings, a city hall shooting, national manhunts for killers, and the ever-violent presidential primaries. Meanwhile here in Israel it has been a warm and dry winter (with the exception of one snow storm) and we have only had a small 6 mile stretch of a wall on the Gaza border knocked down allowing 10,000 people to cross illegally into Egypt. So I guess we do have it easier here in Israel.

When we first arrived, I worked hard to keep the rules of the Sabbath so that our Jewish neighbors would not look down on us. Once I realized that this sentiment is unavoidable I now feel the freedom to take out the trash, shower, cook, and even brush my teeth in violation of the sabbath.

Forget the peanut butter and jelly, my 5 year old son eats pita with humus for lunch most days.

I have not had a piece of pepperoni pizza since I left and the countdown has now begun to when I will once again enjoy this gift from God.

We have become friends with a Palestinian Christian and his wife and like to have them over for a glass of wine and conversation. I didn't realize how much I could learn about Jesus through their eyes and not just the "trendy" Jewish perspective on Jesus.

I have not been a full time student and a father until this year and I realize now that this is impossible to do perfectly. Since something has to suffer, it must be the studies instead of the kids. (My sleep suffers a bit as well, but the Red Sox World Series Games and the Super Bowl airing at 1:00 AM did not help).

A gallon of milk costs about $8.00 but Captain Crunch is the cheapest cereal so I am not able to change my breakfast habit.

Sometimes for fun, I take my camera and walk down the street to the "Wailing Wall", the "Hill of Golgatha", or the Mount of Olives.

I have not had a burrito from Chipotle in 5 months but I have had many falafels and "toast with salty cheese and pesto (a.k.a. a paninni with sheep's cheese and basil)".

I have seen more men peeing in public this year than in my whole life. My wife saw a boy peeing in front of the swings at the park today. Brilliant!

I take one bus route through an "Ultra-Orthodox" neighborhood and I can actually make people get up from their seats by sitting next to them. I am a "defiled" pagan so they cannot be next to me. The sad thing is that I take pleasure in watching people move away from me. I know... "w.w.j.d."

My son asked to go to Egypt for his 8th birthday so, like any good father would do, next week we are going there for him. Forget the bounce-house, I'm giving him the pyramids!

We have actually become friends with a good amount of people and even almost have a social life here. Of course even in the states, having a social life and having three kids are not compatible ideas.

When crossing the border or dealing with any official here in Israel I proudly display my Jewish last name and my wife and boys' Old Testament names. If their thinking that we are Jewish allows us more privliges, then who am I to correct them?

I have learned more Hebrew and Greek this year than ever before and this is in addition to my leisure and required studies. I think my brain is full. My oldest son says that if we eat the brains of animals, our brains will grow bigger. We just have to remember to use the "meat" plates.

In the words of my wife, "I know I will be glad we came here this year. This will be a great experience when it is over".

4 comments:

patricia said...

I would gladly send you a burrito from Chipotle but it wouldn't get there for about 6 weeks. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

hey ryan (and fam),
so this is the first time i have checked your blog(s), and i read "random thoughts" out loud to lindsey and we both thought it was great to get a picture of your life and experiences in israel. what a great post-super entertaining! i gotta admit, there were a few things i read, like going to Egypt & Golgotha, and learning more hebrew and greek, that made me jealous (no, i mean really jealous, like the sinful kind that you have to confess. you know, like when you honestly think god screwed up when he planned your life and you should be experiencing what someone else is, and they should be having experiences much less glamorous and exotic than yours). and then there were a few other things, like the kosher stuff and no pepperoni pizza, when i was like, um, not in a million years. so then i felt better about everything. ha ha. we enjoy your writing (very real and down-to-earth), and your photos. and we love the quote from your wife at the end of the post. thanks for letting us into your lives and journey.

jason (and lindsey) kliewer
oh, check out pics of our adorable little shelby grace--she's so rad!:

http://web.mac.com/jason.lindsey/Site/Blog/Entries/2008/2/11_Welcome_Baby_Shelby_Grace.html

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday...pyramids instead of bounce houses......I like that. Oh and those frozen pizza'a are calling your name....count down!
How many languages are the boys speaking now? Are they still learning spanish? We are all counting down here for you to enjoy the things you miss.

=) Melissa

Ryan said...

Thanks Patricia. But it would probably get confiscated by security. They would see meat and cheese side by side and destroy it.

Jason. Thanks for your comments. I will pray for your sinful soul. Congratulations on the baby girl. Sara just asked about your baby so now I can sound well informed.

Melissa- As always, thanks for the encouragement. I will have to ease myself back into my love of pepperoni pizza but I am confident my body will be accepting.