Thursday, January 10, 2008

The New Mundane pt 2

Those of you who read Sara's "New Mundane" post a few days ago can consider this a follow up to her thoughts. If you did not read it... you should.
Imediately after Sara wrote about life becoming routine we decided to change things up a bit. All three of our boys are taking turns fighting off various sicknesses which have included a week of sleep being interupted every half hour by "Dad, I need some water", "Dad, I want you to hold me (this is what our baby said in his own words", "Dad, I don't feel ....BLAAAH (That is the sound of throwing up)", or "Dad, why does mom act like she can't hear us at night so you are the one who has to always wake up". That last one might have been what I said, but I know I heard it somewhere.

In addition to these sicknesses that Sara and I also decided to participate in, we have a visitor to our town that has changed life for everyone. The visitor is known as G-Dub and he is the President of the United States. In his honor, the city of Jerusalem has closed a good portion of roads, it has placed robots in the sewers to search for bombs, it has called in 10,000 extra police officers, it has cleaned the streets for the first time since Israel became a country, and it has re-routed all the buses.
No matter how you feel about G-Dub, you must admit that this is an exciting event. This is actually the first time that I have even been in the same city as the President and now he is staying in a hotel less than a mile from my house. Of course I will not see him because he is literally locked in his Hotel room and when he travels, the 10,000 police officers on duty close the whole area surrounding him.

The point is, even the routine of taking the same buses and getting to class at the same time has been changed. Even the fact that we have grown used to see large amounts of security personelle has changed this week as we marvel at the snipers on the rooftops and the large motorcades of black Suburbans. And if all of that is not enough, today the weather is rainy and 38 degrees with lows expected this week to be in the 20's. Our routine Jerusalem weather might actually give us some snow this week. So for now, we take a break from routine and face the reminder that life has its way of keeping us waiting for the unexpected. So now I must venture out into the closed streets of Jerusalem in an attempt to make it home to my sick family (sick is only describing their health). Don't worry, I am carrying my camera so if I happen to bump into the president I will take take his picture and say "hi" for you.

No comments: