Thursday, January 24, 2008

Home-made

A funny thing is happening to me here in Israel. In an attempt to keep my family in a somewhat "normal" state of being, I have had to get creative in how I do certain things. For instance, in order to keep my kids out of the somewhat chaotic Israeli school system and to keep them in their spanish immersion program in the states, I am homeschooling them. I am attempting to teach my children Spanish in a Hebrew speaking country, when the only languages I have mastery over are English and pig-latin (and I am ashamed to admit this). Also in order to provide my family with foods that they are accustomed to, I have resorted to making things from scratch at home, that in the states I would just buy pre-made. I have made home-made stuffing (at thanksgiving), chicken stock (I have yet to see campbells here) and spaghetti sauce (only two brands are available, each with sugar as the first ingredient). Cereal and milk is expensive so I have made more pumpkin and banana bread this year than ever in my life. Baby food is scarce and even the baby food jars of bananas have sugar as their first ingredient - so I am making baby Ben his own mashed up baby food. We dont have a microwave so I first have to roast stuff in the oven the old-fashioned way (or would an open fire pit be the old fashioned way??). Two days ago I got a challah (pronounced Hallah) recipe from our neighbors and whipped up some home-made bread for the family. By night all three loaves had been eaten so in the morning I whipped up another three loaves (with real yeast and no bread maker!). Because it is rainy right now and we dont have a car, today the boys and I made our own exercise video for kids. It has lots of jumping and kicking (they may have just been fighting at this point) in it, as well as crunches and I think at least one downward dog.

Our Halloween costumes were home-made out of towels and clothes pins. Our Christmas play included a sheep made from cotton balls taped onto a stuffed dog (not to say we would have used a real sheep had we still been in California but maybe..).

The other night, Ryan came home to find me sitting at the table, crayons in hand, creating the first installment of the book series "Jack" - about a cat that lives out front of our apartment. It was written and illustrated by me and I have to say I am genuinely proud of the book. My middle child has since created "Jack III" as he is well educated on the concept of the lucrative sequel. Aparently now I need to write "Jack II." This is all because I have not found the time to walk to the library to get a special form, take it to the post office, pay them money and then go back to the library to get a card - in order to use the small English book section of the library. Apparently making books is more convenient in my mind.

I have yet to start sewing my own clothes or making my own furniture.

I dont know if this is a good or bad development. I do have to say that I admire people who can create with their own two hands - I love Martha Stewart for goodness sakes. There is something gratifying about baking bread and making homemade apple sauce. I really think I just have far more time on my hands this year than I will ever have again. So for the moment I will roll up my sleeves and get working on "Jack II."

6 comments:

Luke said...

I want a copy of the Jack series.

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of jack the movie?Greg and Kim

Anonymous said...

when you get rich and famous from the jack t-shirt and other merchandise we will be willing to stay in your vacation home for you.gREG

patricia said...

Enjoy it while you can!

Should we send recipes and art supplies?

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone - if I decide to launch a Jack multi-media enterprise I will let you know. And Patricia - you can always send recipes and art supplies!

Anonymous said...

There was a time in my life when "store bought" things were a real, real treat. However, when I and the family reflect back we think of the things that were made for presents or just to get along.......as being the fondest of memories. Enjoy the moment. All too soon you will be back in the "fake" world of throw away. Gerald