Monday, June 30, 2008

Back

We have been back in the states for one week and a day, and I am getting myself re-acclimated. Some things have been very easy to re-adjust to. I have enjoyed using a microwave, cooking with meat and cheese to my heart's content, using my cell phone, driving my car, chit-chatting with the check-out lady at Target (in English!), being at Target, sitting in a private backyard and eating sharp cheddar cheese. I have generally been thrilled by the grocery prices (even with the supposedly high prices this year), the clothing bargains, and the quietness of my in-laws neighborhood. I have eaten mexican food three times (and have gained a good five pounds...can you do that in one week?), and have bought Dead Sea products at Ross for less than five dollars. I have also had the joy of spending a lot of time with my family this past week, which doesnt happen often since we live in California and they all live here in Seattle.

Some signs that we have been out of the country still pop up however...

When asked how much baby Ben weighs, I replied..."11 kilos." Instead of referring to Washington state as the place we are visiting, I keep saying things like "I love this country!" or "this country has great weather!" I am still walking my errands more than I am driving them - it just feels better that way. Ben prefers his stroller (his new one) to the car. When I am shopping I say things like "this dress is only 35 shekels!!" Or "milk in this country is only 8 shekels!!" I am also amazed at how many women have the same hair cut as me...most Muslim and Jewish women in Jerusalem cover their hair so it has been a while since I have seen women's hair styles. I went for a run yesterday morning and I saw a squirel, a raccoon, and a lot of trees - and thought (with mixed lament and boredom)"I am definitely not in Israel anymore."

We are glad to be back in the United States and to enjoy its freedoms. We are glad to be with family and friends. We are enjoying the sunshine that Washington State (ie. "this country") has in abundance this week (totally out of character). We are viewing life through "israel-colored lenses" right now, and noticing the great things as well as the challenges of living here. And of course, we will write our thoughts in the coming weeks as we transition out of "the Jerusalem letters."

1 comment:

Kevin said...

Welcome back. There is no place on earth like Lakewood! :)