Friday, October 26, 2007

the Week in Photos

A view of Jerusalem from the campus at Hebrew University.

The Western Wall with the Dome of the Rock in the background. This is the location of The Temple Mount from the Bible. The entire mount was made into a Muslim compound which obviously has interesting political implications. This is why the wall is also called the Wailing Wall.


This the Church of All Nations (which I guess means it is the church of your nation) located on The Mount of Olives in
The Garden of Gethsemene.


This is The Church of Dormition which conveniently (and suspiciously) hosts David's Tomb, the location of The Last Supper, and where Jesus' mom died.


This painting is on the dome inside The Church of the Sepcultre which claims to be the site of Golgatha and Jesus' Tomb. Every place of historical importance (or supposed place of importance) has churches, monastaries, temples, or mosques built on the site. Somehow these massive buildings were erected without disrupting the archaeology of the area.... yeah.


A windmill (in case you were wondering).


A taxi.


A market in the Old City.


My son Ian at the Western Wall. He is the one on the right.


Me after two weeks in Jerusalem.

Advertisement for John Nagel's comedy show in Jerusalem.


The Israeli built wall separating the West Bank from the rest of Israel. This is the view from the edge of our neighborhood.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please let Ian know I say, "cheers" to him.
Great photo.
I'm stealing it.

I love that the Rosenbaum family doesn't live life as spectators, but as active participants that other spectators watch.

When do I get distant education from Rabbi Rosenbaum?

peace.

Anonymous said...

Say if I were happening to come through Jerusalem on "comedy tour" and happen to find a great food establishment such as "Pig n Pancake" would this be considered kosher?



www.pignpancake.com
(Just in case you need the menu to see if it's kosher, but I'm pretty sure it all is.)

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Everything is so beautifull there

I think it is so cool that you get to live in a place that is so meaningful and such an enormous part of our history.

God bless

Unknown said...

I LOVE that pic of Ian ... I am stealing it too. =)

Anonymous said...

wow. what an amazing time you are having. I love seeing all the pictgures and hearing your thoughts. Sara, I am praying for a special friend for you, one with chidren that can be friends for yours!
We love you guys.
ruth, for the bingles

patricia said...

Are those beads I see in those baskets!?
LOVE what you've done with your hair!

Joel Van Ginkel said...

Ryan, did you know that there is a jerusalemletter blogspot that you don't write. It a story of a Jewish person in having a disagreeable conversation with an Arabic woman in a hospital in 2003. You and Sara's pictures and letters are far more entertaining.

Joel

Ryan said...

Derek- Ian and Isaac were very engaged at the wall and totally got into praying. They wanted to pray for the requests that were tucked into the cracks in the wall and they wanted to put their own prayers in the cracks.

Alyssa- Bless you too.
Melissa- I can give you a better resolution if you want... I just don't want to find it on the wall somewhere.

Ruth & the Bingels- It is so good to hear from you. Thanks for checking in.

Patricia- Yes those are beads and the photo is for you. Yes, my hair is really quite nice now.

Joel- I did not know that. I hope no one thinks my update from Israel is about having an argument with someone here. Even if I had an arguement I would not know what is being said so I'm not sure if I would win the argument or lose it.