Monday, August 25, 2008

Things I brought back from Israel

We have been back in the States now for about two months, which is bit hard to believe I must say! Time in the United States seems to go by so much more quickly for me here than it did in Israel... We have been back in our home in California now for two weeks and have been busy unpacking. This past week I actually had time to unpack our "souvenir box" and enjoyed the opportunity to go through all the things that we brought back from the Holy Land and abroad. We also finally received 3 1/4 of the boxes that we shipped ourselves from Jerusalem. I now know officially what did and what didn't come back with us from there. I did get some beautiful scarves, an olive wood nativity scene, and some ceramic pomegranates that I love. We also brought back the plastic (non-kosher) bowls that the boys used last year, as well as a Hebrew language International Monopoly game, and Ryan's Boston Red Sox kippah. (our Hebron glass and a teapot that our son made did not make it unfortunately). It was truly a joy to look through everything, and now that things are "starting to settle down" I was able to really think back on this past year. It has also really hit home this past few weeks that beyond the Ahava Dead Sea Salts and Middle Eastern spices, I have brought back things that are much much more valuable. They are not things, but rather mindsets, that I picked up here and there on our excursions and experiences last year.

For instance, I have realized the value of hanging my laundry to dry. If the sun is there to do the work for me, why waste energy on using the dryer?

I have also realized the value of walking to the the store near my house, which is half a mile away. Owning a car is an incredible privilege which many don't have. I am in my car plenty (I am not so different from everyone else!) but if I don't need to drive there, why should I?

I brought back a greater understanding of the "wants" vs. the "needs." We lived last year out of six suitcases, plus a couple reinforcements halfway through of winter clothes and food. We were content with what we had and we had all that we needed. I am no longer as prone to believe the ads that tell me that because it is a good deal, I should buy it. I feel incredibly blessed right now and recognize that we have more than we need.

I brought back the habit of buying produce in season and in small quantities. Two weeks have passed and our fridge is still sparse. And yet, we have had enough to feed all those who stop by and somehow feed our three growing boys, without throwing anything in the trash. I also brought back a craving for pita and hummus - which I find a little ironic.

I brought back a new compassion for those who are different from me - for the foreigner and visitor here in my neighborhood, in California and the USA. Also for the poor and those who are a different religion or culture than me. I feel more compelled to show kindness to them, after a year in which I craved it, and relished it when it was given to me.

I brought back the idea that my schedule (or my boys) does not need to be packed in order for me to find fulfillment in life. I appreciate the moments in our backyard, relaxing with friends and family so much more than rushing from errand to meeting to event.

I also brought back a more three dimensional view of God's Word, and of God Himself. I came back with a bit more humility, a bit more grace, a lot of awe and a decent amount (at least six suitcases full!) of gratitude.

Our suitcases, our hearts and our photo memory cards came back from Israel overflowing. We most definitely came back with more than we took. And for that I will be forever thankful.

No comments: