Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Have's

In response to Sara's last post, I thought I would include a list of the "everyday life" things we have done this year... again for our own personal journaling purposes (and because it is my turn to post and I am at a loss for words).

I have:
Cooked popcorn the old fashoined way on the stove top for "movie nights"
Eaten falafels and good Arabic salads (I hope the Jordan Market carries the "eggplant tahina" salad)
Spent about 15 hours a week on the bus
Purchased much of our meat and produce from outdoor markets
Become friends with a favorite author of mine (not Chesterton... he is dead)
Gone to church as a non-staff member
Spent countless hours on the 5th floor of the HU library
BBQ'd with wood coals
Walked to the Old City of Jerusalem to buy food during the Sabbath.
Crawled through ancient tunnels, palaces, and tombs with my boys
Learned a new language
Had shekels in my wallet instead of dollars
Played basketball with Rabbis
Seen more diplomats/ politicians (including John McCain) than the rest of my life combined
Spent time with fewer Americans than non
Spent a lot of time with my wife and three boys

For Sara:
She has homeschooled our children
Been involved with a ministry to help people in the West Bank and Gaza
Cooked and baked tons of things from scratch
Jogged along the Old City of Jerusalem
Become friends with several merchants in the Old City (and has become a regular face in the ancient streets)
Learned how to survive in the grocery stores, parks, library, and local fruit stand

This list could be much longer but I think you get the point. These experiences will forever change who we are for better and for worse... mostly better.

No comments: