Thursday, November 1, 2007

Don't Sweat the Big Stuff

My kids have incredible imaginations. They truly never cease to amaze me in how they can make something out of almost nothing. At home in California, I have witnessed bunk beds turn into castles, sand turn into Egyptian pyramids, and couch cushions turn into tunnels. The boys can go for a hike along the creek near our home, and turn into real scientists on a quest for a new archeological find. Even a peanut butter sandwich, if bitten in the right pattern, can turn into a pumpkin, or a bat, or part of the solar system. It can be a bit exhausting trying to keep up with them, but it is also a great joy to see their creativity run wild. When Ryan brought up the possibility of this move to Israel, and the world travel that comes with it, I had several concerns. (I wont list them all here but you can probably guess some of them!). One of my concerns was that the boys imaginations might be lessened a bit by the magnitude of the real sights that we would see. Suddenly, the boys are standing in the courtyard of a real castle, are travelling to Egypt to touch the pyramids, are actually making a playground out of a real archeological sight. Will they still be able to make a tunnel out of couch cushions, when for fun Ryan is taking them to a tunnel built by the biblical prophet Hezekiah some 2600 years ago?

Are we making it impossible to enjoy the small things in life when we are exposing them to the biggest things?

My concerns were first diminished some when we reached London, and I saw my second oldest son rolling on the grass in front of Westminster Chapel. And then when we got to Tel Aviv, and although yes, it was the Mediteranean sea, the boys were digging for pirate treasure and jumping in the waves the same as always. By the time we got to Jerusalem, I was definitely starting to feel better. We didnt bring any toys with us, and shortly after arriving here, I found the boys sword-fighting with clothes hangers, and wrestling with....couch cushions. Every day at the park, the boys first run around trying to find litter (plastic spoons and paper cups to be precise), to dig and build with - to build things like pyramids, and to dig things like tunnels that will lead them to underground chambers with new discoveries. Our craft time includes searching for twigs and leaves to turn into masterpieces, and my oldest son can still travel to the solar system and beyond with only a pen and paper.

This week we celebrated Halloween in Jerusalem (I think we were the only ones). I went to the market and bought some Israeli candy. My oldest son dressed up in cargo pants and a skateboarding t-shirt, and cut out some round medallions from a cereal box - he was an archeologist who discovers pirate treasure. My second son, draped towels over each arm, and cut out a mask with pointy ears from the same cereal box - he was a bat. My youngest son sat on his bouncy seat with some candy on his legs - and got to be one of the trick or treat stops for the boys. So I guess as a four month old, he got to be a house for Halloween! Ryan went to one room in the house with his candy, I went to another, and Benja to another (he didnt actually go by himself...he cant walk yet). The two other boys knocked on doors and we oohed and ahhed over their costumes, and gave them candy. They were just as excited (and loud) as they are at home doing trick or treating. Afterwards, we had our kosher cheese pizza and apple cider, and our second son said "this is the best Halloween Ever!" So I am thinking it is safe to say that the Big stuff cannot keep our kids from enjoying the small.

Although one of our children is planning an "Egypt" themed 8th birthday party...on location. That just might ruin future birthdays for him...but probably not.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Sara,
Alison forward your "blog" to me. I can't tell you how blessed I was by it. All too often we rely on t.v. etc. instead of allowing a child's natural imagination to flow. How wonderful to be able to expand on "the real" and still enjoy the imaginery.
Thank you for making my day start brighter than usual.
Alison's mom, Sue-Ann Rowat

Unknown said...

Sue-Ann - thanks for the comment. If you ever decide you want to visit Jerusalem, you are totally welcome! We will let anyone's mom visit us right now. :)

Bekah Mae said...

Hi Sara! I just wanted you to know that you have so been in my thoughts and prayers the last two weeks, every biblestudy or prayer thing I am at I mention you guys for prayer. When we first found out that you were going to Israel I wondered well how is she going to go grocery shopping?? When we moved from Lakewood to Parkland this year I had a difficult time figuring out new stuff like grocery stores and everyday errands. I moved 7 miles. I have been so humbled by your posts and will continue to pray for you, and can I send you some babyfood? Lots of love, Bekah Mae